Call for an IT Consultant
Department: Strathmore Law School – Centre for Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law (CIPIT)
Consultancy Period: July to December 2019
Role: The IT Consultant(s) will work with project teams on various projects including designing the centre’s website, develop web-based searchable open-source databases, maintaining and developing web-based and various software applications and platforms.
SCOPE OF WORK
Under this output the consultant will be tasked with developing a website for the centre. The successful candidate must have a strong understanding of UI, cross-browser compatibility, general web functions and standards. The position requires constant communication with colleagues as well as experience in planning and delivering software platforms used across multiple products and organizational units. The skills required for this role include:
· Deep functional knowledge or hands on design experience with Web Services (REST, SOAP, etc.) is needed to be successful in this position.
· Strong grasp of security principles and how they apply to web applications.
· Creating web products that are user-friendly, effective and appealing.
- Up-to-date experience with international web protocols, standards, and technologies.
Under this output the successful candidate will work to:
i. Further develop Africa ICT Policy Database a web-based repository.
ii. Implement an online portal that would serve as an active cyber-incidence response programme for HRDs who are at risk: This portal would include emergency contacts for lawyers with sufficient training and ready to challenge in court: social media blocking and internet shutdowns, contesting cybercrime legislation, and intermediary liability, protecting online privacy and source protection
The individual should have experience in data science, collection and management, and working with database software to find ways to store, organise and manage data. The skills required for this role include:
- Making large and/or complex data more accessible, understandable and usable.
- Ability to work with, analyse and manage structured and unstructured data in various projects.
- Troubleshooting & keeping databases up to date.
- Database design and development, managing access and designing maintenance procedures and putting them into operation.
- Managing database security/integrity and backup procedures, implementing security measures.
- Writing reports, documentation, operating manuals and disaster recovery plans.
- Testing and modifying databases to ensure that they operate reliably.
- Providing user training, support and feedback and archiving data.
III. General obligations
· Determining information system requirements
· Making recommendations, such as suggesting appropriate hardware, software and systems
· Designing, installing and trialling new systems and software, and fixing any issues that arise
· Attend project meetings, area seminars and other meetings as necessary;
· Consulting staff from different parts of a client's organisation
· Compiling and presenting information and writing reports and documentation
· Repairing computer problems and removing viruses
· Training users and responding to feedback.
- Bachelor’s Degree in IT / Computer Science or related field required.
- Experience in developing and managing cloud-based platforms.
- Background in business systems analysis and design.
- Ability to adapt and use different Project Management tools, such as, JIRA or Basecamp to track project progress and manage tasks efficiently.
- At least 5 years’ experience in web and software development particularly with platforms such as:
- Background in the development and management of Database Management systems
- MySQL, SQL, MS Access and, Visual Basic knowledge.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task effectively
- Demonstrated understanding of projects from the perspective of both client and business
- Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as necessary
- Strong attention to detail
- Interpersonal and communication skills when dealing with clients
How to apply
We understand that one individual may not possess all sets of skills. We encourage firms to apply. The candidate should be ready to demonstrate how their qualifications satisfy the full scope of work above.