Job Title: Research Assistant -Tech & Web
Department: Strathmore Law School – Centre for Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law (CIPIT)
Reporting to: Director, CIPIT
Basic Job Summary: The Research Assistant -Tech & Web Design will work with the project team to develop web-based searchable, open-source databases of global digital rights legislation and case law that supports machine readability and interoperability of data sets which are a deliverable of the Cyrilla Consortium.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for assisting the CIPIT Director as well as:
· Work with CIPIT to achieve the first objective of the CYRILLA consortium which is to increase accessibility and sustainability of digital rights legal data for an expanded multi-stakeholder community, by facilitating coordination and interoperability among existing datasets and initiatives.
· Work with the Research fellow and Tech-Consultant to develop a web-based searchable, open-source database of global digital rights legislation and case law that supports machine readability and interoperability of data sets;
· Work with the team to foster a nascent community of practice to collaboratively refine a shared data model and research on methodology standards;
· Work to further develop Africa ICT Policy Database;
· Provide ready access to all experimental data for the supervisor;
· Attend project meetings, area seminars and other meetings as necessary;
· Prepare progress reports, articles, reports and presentations as needed;
· Attending events on behalf of CIPIT; and
· Other duties as may be assigned by the Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree in IT / Computer Science or related field required.
- At least 2 years’ experience in web and software development.
- Background in the development and management of Database Management systems (MySQL and SQL knowledge).
- Experience in data science, collection and management.
- Experience in developing and managing cloud based platforms.
- Background in business systems analysis and design preferable.
- Ability to adapt and use different Project Management tools, such as, JIRA or Basecamp to track project progress and manage tasks efficiently.
- Up-to-date experience with international web protocols, standards, and technologies.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task effectively
- Demonstrated understanding of projects from the perspective of both client and business
- Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as necessary
- Strong attention to detail
Due to the large number of applications we may receive, kindly note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.